Senior Scientist, Collaborations
NuMedii, Inc. is a venture-backed biomedical startup located in the San Francisco bay area that is translating life-sciences big data into effective new medicines for patients by combining big data, machine learning and systems biology. We seek a senior scientist to join our team to continue to expand our foundational technology for drug repositioning. This is an exciting opportunity to become an early employee of a unique company led by world-renowned expertise in computational science and translational medicine.
You will work closely with NuMedii staff with diverse expertise to apply bleeding edge computational technologies to support our core mission. You are a biologist with an understanding of modern, computational tools who doesn’t shy away from using the command line. You should be someone who is comfortable with the fast pace of work in a high intensity and rapidly evolving startup environment. You must be creative, self-driven and work independently, yet be an excellent communicator and coordinate specific projects within a matrix organization; fundamentally, you must be passionate about the potential to utilize big data to improve the process of drug discovery and development.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Utilize NuMedii’s big data platform to mine large volumes of data across genomics, genetics, pharmaceuticals, and chemicals databases for the identification of new drug-indication hypotheses.
- Where existing methods do not suffice propose and test new algorithms and methods for the analysis of this data.
- Working closely with the drug development team understand questions pertinent to either NuMedii’s internal drug development pipeline and/or partnerships with pharma companies, developing and executing on a plan to address those questions through application of NuMedii’s existing platform or incorporation of new methods.
- Project manage NuMedii’s collaborations with partners ensuring timely completion of deliverables.
- Work closely with biological, translational and clinical scientists to design studies for experimental validation of in silico-derived predictions and assist with the analysis and interpretation of study results.
- Present the work and results to partners, and at conferences and workshops, and assist in the writing of grant proposals.
The ideal candidate will have broad expertise in the biological sciences. Specific requirements include:
- Familiarity with the analysis of microarray, next generation sequencing, proteomic and metabolomics data is required.
- Experience in the identification of gene signatures for disease causation and integration of these with response signatures of disease modifying drugs would be beneficial.
- Experience with biological pathway analysis.
- Experience in any of drug discovery, oncology or inflammation is beneficial.
- Expertise in systems pharmacology is highly desirable.
- Prior experience in a customer facing role.
- A working understanding of drug discovery and chemo-informatics technologies, drug knowledge databases, gene expression analysis, proteomics and analysis of human genetic variation is beneficial.
- Experience developing software in an enterprise environment including using source control tools and tracking activity using project management software.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States.
An PhD in Biological Sciences, , Biomedical Informatics, Computational Biology is essential, and 2-5 years in the biotech or pharmaceutical industry are preferred. Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills in English are essential.
Please send your resume and a brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We offer a very competitive salary and benefits package. NuMedii values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Notice to recruiters and agencies:
NuMedii prefers to recruit candidates directly, rather than through a third party recruiter or agency. Blinded CVs and resumes of qualified candidates will be reviewed and considered when submitted or presented to NuMedii by a recruiter or agency without a signed agreement. In this event, NuMedii explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidates without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency..