Senior Scientist, Computational Biology
NuMedii, Inc. is a venture-backed biomedical startup located in the San Francisco bay area that is translating life-sciences big data into effective new medicines for patients by combining big data, machine learning and systems biology. We seek a computational biologist to join our team to help us discover new drugs for unmet medical needs. This is an exciting opportunity to become an early employee of a unique company led by world-renowned expertise in computational science and translational medicine.
Senior Scientist, Computational Biology Job Description
You will work closely with NuMedii staff and consultants with diverse expertise to implement bleeding edge computational advances to support our core mission. You should be someone who is comfortable with rapid, agile computational development in a high intensity and rapidly evolving startup environment. You must be creative, self-driven and work independently, yet be an excellent communicator and coordinate specific projects within a matrix organization; fundamentally, you must be passionate about the potential to utilize big data to improve the process of drug discovery and development.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Propose, evaluate the suitability of, and develop a variety of bioinformatics methods to mine large volumes of data across genomics, genetics, pharmaceuticals, and chemicals databases for the identification of new drugs.
- Create new algorithms and methods for the analysis of these data.
- Work closely with other members of the team to architect, implement and maintain a computational infrastructure that efficiently executes complex queries across these datasets.
- Work closely with biological, translational and clinical scientists to design studies for experimental validation of in silico-derived predictions and assist with the analysis and interpretation of study results.
- Present the work and results to partners, and at conferences and workshops, and assist in the writing of grant proposals.
The ideal candidate will have broad expertise in bioinformatics and/or computational biology. Specific requirements include:
- In-depth familiarity with computational and statistical methodologies for analysis of microarray, next generation sequencing, proteomic and metabolomics data is required.
- Experience in the identification of gene signatures for disease causation and integration of these with response signatures of disease modifying drugs would be beneficial.
- Experience with the application of machine learning and graph theory is highly desirable.
- Specific expertise with the data and methodologies associated with the Library of Integrated Network-Based Cellular Signatures project is highly desirable.
- Expertise with computational immunology is highly desirable.
- Expertise in advanced computational biology methods such as systems biology and network analysis, machine learning and data mining tools.
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages e.g. C/C++, Java, Python, Perl in a Linux/UNIX environment. Proficiency in R for statistical analysis is also required.
- Familiarity with database management systems
- A working understanding of drug discovery and chemo-informatics technologies, drug knowledge databases, gene expression analysis, proteomics and analysis of human genetic variation is beneficial.
- Experience developing software in an enterprise environment including using source control tools and tracking activity using project management software.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
An MS or PhD in Bioinformatics, Biomedical Informatics, Computational Biology, or Computer Science with experience in Bioinformatics are essential, and 2-5 years in the biotech or pharmaceutical industry are preferred. Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills in English are essential.
Please send your resume and a brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We offer a very competitive salary and benefits package. NuMedii values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Notice to recruiters and agencies
NuMedii prefers to recruit candidates directly, rather than through a third party recruiter or agency. Blinded CVs and resumes of qualified candidates will be reviewed and considered when submitted or presented to NuMedii by a recruiter or agency without a signed agreement. In this event, NuMedii explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidates without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.