NuMedii, Inc. is a venture-backed biomedical startup located in the San Francisco bay area that is translating life-sciences data into effective new medicines for patients by combining big data, machine learning and systems biology approaches. We seek a software engineer to join our team to continue to expand our foundational computational technology. This is an exciting opportunity to become an early employee of a unique company led by world-renowned expertise in computational science and translational medicine.
Software Engineer Job Description
You will work closely with NuMedii staff with diverse expertise to apply bleeding edge computational technologies to support our core mission. You should be someone who is comfortable with the fast pace of work in a high intensity and rapidly evolving startup environment. You must be creative, self-driven and work independently, yet be an excellent communicator and coordinate specific projects within a matrix organization; fundamentally, you must be passionate about the potential to utilize big data to improve the process of drug discovery and development.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Design, implement and maintain NuMedii’s big data platform to mine large volumes of data across genomics, genetics, pharmaceuticals, and chemicals databases.
- Work closely with data scientists and biologists on the team to implement solutions and create production environments.
- Propose and evaluate new technologies to further enhance NuMedii’s analytical and drug development capabilities.
The ideal candidate will have expertise in big data solutions, machine learning methods and ideally previous exposure to the biological domain.
Specific requirements include:
- In-depth familiarity with big data technology and its application.
- Building systems to manage big data workflows.
- Experience with the application of machine learning techniques to big data highly advantageous.
- Specific knowledge of biological networks (genes, pathways, drugs) and/or drug development process is highly advantageous.
- Understanding complex data flows, identification of data processing bottlenecks and designing and implementing solutions.
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages e.g. C/C++, Java, Python, Perl in a Linux/UNIX environment. Proficiency in R is also required.
- Familiarity with database management systems (MySql, Mongo, Neo4j)
- Experience developing software in an enterprise environment including using source control tools and tracking activity using project management software.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
An MSc or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or Bioinformatics with experience in Big Data are essential, and 2-5 years in industry with some exposure to biological data are preferred. Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills in English are essential.
Please send your resume and a brief cover letter to email@example.com. We offer a very competitive salary and benefits package. NuMedii values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Notice to recruiters and agencies
NuMedii prefers to recruit candidates directly, rather than through a third party recruiter or agency. Blinded CVs and resumes of qualified candidates will be reviewed and considered when submitted or presented to NuMedii by a recruiter or agency without a signed agreement. In this event, NuMedii explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidates without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.